RE: On firewall traversal vs. bypass

2007-07-31 11:48:26

-----Original Message-----
From: Aki Niemi [mailto:aki(_dot_)niemi(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:10 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: On firewall traversal vs. bypass

Continuing on something heard at the technical plenary last week.
There were people complaining that while protocols like STUN/TURN
and ICE are traversing NAT, they are in fact bypassing firewall
policies, which they should not be doing.

I think it should be noted that ICE [1] does *not* circumvent the
typical firewall policies. The default policy of a stateful firewall
tends to be "keep unsolicited traffic out".

Now, the problem is that applications like VoIP or video chats
generally follow this policy in theory -- after all, a VoIP call, if
accepted, is solicited traffic -- but they do not follow it in
practice. Specifically, the media sessions can't punch the necessary
holes into stateful firewalls, and just generally are poor at
managing the transport flows they use (for instance, checking
whether a certain flow actually works before attempting to use it).

ICE remedies this, by modifying the on-the-wire behavior of these
application protocols so that they match not only the intent but
also the letter of the stateful firewall policy. Whether this
happens as a side-effect of an ICE-like procedure, or via explicit
firewall control is a matter of taste, but we also have to keep in
mind that the deployment models for these differ considerably. While
the first only requires changes to endpoints, the latter requires
ubiquitous deployment to middleboxes to become a *full* solution to
the problem.

Needless to say, I opt for the first, and consider the latter an
optimization.

Here is one way to do the first,
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-wing-session-auth-00.txt
(currently expired).