Re: Call for action vs. lost opportunity (Was: Re: Renumbering)

2007-10-12 08:04:43
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>

    >> Wouldn't it make more sense to put the effort into morphing v6 into
    >> something that *IS* attractive?

    > there's precious little time left to do that

Umm, Keith, we're *already* 'out' (in some sense) of IPv4 space, and have
been for a decade or more.

Why do you think there are all those blasted NAT boxes out there?

So the future just holds a *different* kind of 'running out of IPv4'
addresses, which, when it happens, the world will deal with in what seems at
the time to be the most cost-effective way of dealing with the problem, even
if it's ugly (q.v. NAT).

        Noel