Re: IETF / UN

2007-10-12 18:33:55
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:41:40 -0400
Matt Larson <mlarson(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 wrote:
    "But the UN is a government--"
    "No it isn't," Martin insisted, "It's a talking shop.
Started out as a treaty organization, turned into a bureaucracy,
then an escrow agent for various transnational trade and standards
agreements. After the Singularity, it was taken over by the
Internet engineering task force. It's not the government of Earth;
it's just the only remaining relic of Earth's governments that your
people can recognize. ..."

Singularity Sky, by Charles Stross, ISBN: 0-441-01179-9, Ace Books.
From page 281 of the July 2004 paperback edition.

We're already on the edge of on-topic and this comment has the risk of
sending us spiraling off, but everyone really must immediately stop
whatever you're doing to go out and buy and read everything by Charles
Stross.  You won't regret it.

Indeed.

A few years ago, I dropped him a note and mentioned that that line was
quite popular in the IETF.  He replied

        As it happens I'd be quite surprised if the IETF or something
        like it *doesn't* end up running the planet one of these days.
        (Running the planet being a thankless infrastructure
        maintenance task, after all.)