Re: More comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-03.txt

2007-10-14 12:09:46
I am not sure whether to start a SG after a BOF is the right thing todo.

Depending on the outcome of the BOF, it may or not be.  A SG can only help
if a problem important to the Internet community has been identified, if
the problem is well understood, and if there is sufficient interest/energy
to take on the work.

I personally would think that helping people earlier would be useful
(e.g., after one or more Bar-BOFs).
* Start with with SG as early as possible; no need to wait for a failed
BOF

The SG experiment permits that at the AD's discretion.  Personally, I
would like to see how well this type of SG would work.

[Note: If you cannot find any experienced person to help then that's probably
already an indication that something is really heading into the wrong
direction.]

This is part of the required "demonstration of interest" for SG formation,
I would think.

For example, at IETF#69 we had an adhoc meeting on SPIT prevention. In short,
it was a disaster.

We have a few solution approaches, we can envision a problem but we obviously
do not have a lot of SPIT to determine whether the proposed mechanisms would
help and which mechanism is more likely to be successful.
This is a quite practical example and I would like to better understand
how the proposals in draft-aboba-sg-experiment-03.txt could help me to make
progress.

From your description, it seems that there is not yet enough data to
develop a problem statement, let alone to evaluate solutions.  In such a
situation, it seems that the most that could be accomplished would be to
do a literature review, summarizing the state of the art and perhaps
identifying problems for further research.  I'm not clear that a SG would
be the best avenue for that, due to the short duration.  An IRTF RG might
make more sense.

I could also come up with a simpler example, based on the early warning adhoc
meeting from IETF#69. It is a simpler case since we had constructive
discussions and there was a lot of support for the work.

Of of the top of my head, this sounds like it could potentially be a
better understood problem, for which the SG might be more relevant.