Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

2007-10-15 10:55:16
So often what appears to be a security issue is simply failing to account for
the security issues in the design.

In this case it is also a failure to understand the internet as a system.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)

 -----Original Message-----
From:   John Leslie [mailto:john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net]
Sent:   Monday, October 15, 2007 10:29 AM Pacific Standard Time
To:     Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc:     ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:        Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

Whether your objective is to reduce carbon emissions because of
global warming concerns or reduce dependence on fossil fuels that are
increasingly in short supply, there is a real incentive to reduce
energy use.

If teleconferencing actually worked the need to hold face to face
meetings would be reduced.

   I am constantly surprised how little interest there is within IETF
for teleconferecing that works well.

By work I mean really work, not almost, not provided there is no NAT,
not provided the firewall has pinhole router configuration.

   These are all "security" issues, for which we could find end-runs.
The problem I see is that we just don't care. :^(

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>