please REJECT tls-authz until it is patent-free!

2007-10-26 10:41:50
Hello,

As a software engineering professional, I have experienced first-hand the harm done by patents on software.

I ask that you please REJECT any proposed standard (including those vying merely for "experimental" or "informational" status) which is encumbered by patents. (If the patent is made available for free use by anyone, with no restrictions, registration, payment, or further licensing, then that is fine - it is effectively the same, for this purpose, as if the technique was not patented.)

There is no benefit to consumers, users, corporations, the software industry or art, or in fact anyone except the patent holder, when a standard is made to include patented techniques which must be licensed. It is the responsibility of a respected standards organization to resist pressure from those who seek to subvert the standardization processes for their own financial gain at the expense of EVERYONE else.

Therefore, please DO NOT allow the patent-encumbered TLS-authz extension to become even an experimental or informational standard - please REJECT it outright, unless and until it is made completely free (in all senses).

Thank you,
   Chris MacGregor
   Senior Software Engineer
   chris(_at_)bouncingdog(_dot_)com