TLS-authz standardization

2007-10-26 10:41:47
Sirs:

I would like to voice my opposition to approving the TLS-authorization
technology as an experimental standard.
The reason for this opposition is that a company, RedPhone Security, has
applied for a patent on this technology. Approving patented or patent pending
technology as an internet standard, even an experimental one, would lead to
fragmentation as free software implementations like GnuTLS could not legally
implement the standard, thus hindering interoperability. This would apply
equally to commercial implementations, unless each vendor licenses the
technology once a patent is granted.

Please reject the standardization request.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

Jan H. Haul
DNV IT Global Services
Enhancing Trust and Confidence in IT

Visit http://www.dnv.com/itgs <http://www.dnv.com/itgs>

Bei den Mühren 1

D-20457 Hamburg

Phone +49 40 / 890 590 80 - Fax +49 40 / 890 590 99 - Mobile +49 177 / 899 62 06

Mail jan(_dot_)haul(_at_)dnv(_dot_)com

Visit www.dnv.de/itgs <http://www.dnv.de/itgs%22www.dnv.de/itgs>
Tireno Innovations AG
Vorstand: Siegfried Raschke, Jörg Beiler - Vors. des Aufsichtsrats: Annie
Combelles
Registergericht: AG Hamburg HRB83251 - USt ID DE210485373

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and
are intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this
message and its attachments. Any unauthorized use, copying or dissemination of
this transmission is prohibited. Neither the confidentiality nor the integrity
of this message can be vouched for following transmission on the Internet.