Concerns on TLS authorization extensions

2007-10-26 10:44:20
I'm a software developer who relies on royalty free standards that the IETF has
worked so hard to provide that make the web the success it is. As such I was
troubled by an issue the Free Software Foundation raised about IETF accepting a
patented technology that if used by me in a software product I would have to
pay royalties on what could be one day a internet standard.

Even if the technology is labeled 'experimental' the IETF has a very good name
in internet standards and even a blemish stands out on a clean wall. I would
like to know what efforts the IETF is taking to ensure that one company does
not gain a monopoly over a possible internet standard, which would be
disastrous for software development worldwide. Such as asking RedPhone
Security, Inc to release the patent under a royalty free, worldwide basis..
delaying the standard intill the patent expires... or working around the patent
by changing the specification. I'm not sure of the nature of the patent, but
the FSF has experience in designing software around patents with their fabulous
GNU Project, and i'm sure they will be willing to lend some expertise.

Look forward to hearing from you
John