Last Minute Reminder: New Sunday Tutorials

2007-12-02 12:44:58

Hi All,

I thought it would be worthwhile to send a last minute reminder, in case folks did not notice the new tutorials listed on the agenda:

The IETF EDU team is proud to be presenting two new tutorials in Vancouver this afternoon, as part of our IETF Sunday tutorial series. Although this message only covers the new tutorials, nformation about the other tutorials being offered this afternoon can be found here:

http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/70-Sunday_Sessions.html

We will be hosting a new technical tutorial at 3:00pm today (Sunday) in Salon 3.

Title:  The Use of XML in RFC Protocols
Presenter:  Tim Bray

This tutorial will cover the following topics:
    - How to think about whether XML is a good choice
      or not for use in an Internet protocol.  There
      are alternatives which are often superior choices.
    - If you are going to use XML, how to think about
      inventing your own language as opposed to using
      an existing one, with a review of some popular
      languages you might want to consider adopting.
    - If you are going to design your own language, how
      you might go about doing so.  This would include
      discussion of:
          -- verbosity vs. terseness
          -- the use of schemas, and the choice of
             available schema languages
          -- extensibility
          -- i18n and encoding issues

The EDU Team is also presenting a new process tutorial at 3:00pm today (Sunday) in Salon 2.

Title:  The IETF Document Lifecycle
Presenters:  Alice Hagens and Margaret Wasserman

This tutorial offers an overview of producing documents in the IETF,
from version 00 of an Internet-Draft to publication as an RFC.  We
will cover the working group process, and the required and suggested
contents of an Internet-Draft, including information from IANA staff
about writing IANA Considerations sections.   We will walk through
the lifecycle including authorship, WG draft, IETF Last Call, IESG
evaluation, and what to expect during the RFC publication process.
We will provide a set of helpful hints to authors about formatting
rules and editorial policies that often improve the quality of the
resulting documents.  We will summarize the states of the RFC
publication process and provide an opportunity to ask questions of
RFC Editor staff.

For people who are not attending the Vancouver IETF, the slides from these tutorials will be available after the IETF meeting on the EDU Team website (edu.ietf.org) or in the IETF 70 proceedings.

Thanks,
Margaret