RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis (Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations) to BCP

2007-12-04 15:28:04
Hi Sam,

It appears that, somehow, I overlooked message [2] below when I was
editing the document. Thanks for catching that. I'd be happy to make the
two changes agreed to: changing "who" to "whose" in one case (an error a
couple of other people have noticed) and changing "IETF Consensus" to
"IETF Review".

I believe that other changes you suggested were found by the WG Chair
not to have WG consensus.

Thanks,
Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Weiler [mailto:weiler(_at_)tislabs(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:51 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: namedroppers(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis (Domain Name System
(DNS) IANA Considerations) to BCP

This draft does not address at least one issue raised in WGLC.  It
also contains substantial changes made after the close of WGLC that
have received too little attention from the WG.  Accordingly, I
continue to oppose publication of this document[1].  I suggest that
the IESG refer it back to the WG and, once a new document is advanced,
issue a new IETF last call.

An example of an issue raised in WGLC (in August 2006) that I think
should be addressed:

The document continues to use IETF Consensus as an allocation metric.
That term is deprecated in 2434bis and should be replaced.  The editor
appears to have agreed to make that change[2], and I've seen no
follow-up discussion saying that shouldn't happen.

And an example of one of the changes that I think has received too
little review:

The document allows templates to create IANA registries.  Is that
altogether desirable?  Has the expert been given enough guidance to
review such requests?

I have not attempted to do an exhaustive review of the 2929bis
discussion, but I suspect there are other items in the above
categories also.

On the positive side, I'm pleased that the document provides for
permanently archived templates which can, in and of themselves, serve
as adequate documentation of a typecode assignment.

[1]
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01208.html
[2]
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01410.html