RE: Revising full standards

2007-12-10 12:17:54
At 12:34 PM 12/6/2007, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
The numbering is problematic for many reasons, people have difficulty keeping two sets of numeric identifiers straight. If you want me to refer to something other than RFC-822 you have to give me something more memorable to both myself and the audience I am attempting to communicate to.

STD23 does not do it for me

I agree. Note that there are quite a number of mnemonics assigned in http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html#STDbySTD.

If you want to introduce an alternative identifier that people are likely to use use something of the form IETF-SMTP-2008

Not bad.

Bob Braden