Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard (4)

2007-12-10 19:41:37

--On Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:26 AM +0100 Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:

| Domain         = ( sub-domain 1*("." sub-domain) ) /
| sub-domain

The new part is the added <sub-domain> alternative.  The
original fix proposed four years ago was to drop the "1":

| Domain         = sub-domain *("." sub-domain)

IMO the latter is clearer, OTOH the long version makes
the modification more obvious.  I forgot to mention this
point in my ABNF comment, and maybe it illustrates that
2821bis is important for the Internet at large.  We even
worried how that might affect the root servers.

It doesn't affect the root servers, although it might affect the TLD servers.

  john