RE: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-l2vpn-oam-req-frmk-09

2007-12-13 08:10:31
Hello authors and WG chairs,

On my review comments from Nov-10, 2007, I did not receive answers to my
comments from you, yet.
As this draft is planned to be discussed on the IESG telechat, could you please
clarify how you intend to answer to these things (correct, reject or whether we
shall raise a "DISCUSS" during the LC to halt the document process until the
issues have been resolved).

Best regards, Tobias

Ps.: Please note: my main email address changed to:
tobias(_dot_)gondrom(_at_)gondrom(_dot_)org

From: Tobias Gondrom
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:02 AM
To: secdir(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; 'mohand(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com';
'sajassi(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com'; 'sdelord(_at_)uecomm(_dot_)com(_dot_)au';
'philippe(_dot_)niger(_at_)francetelecom(_dot_)com'
Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-l2vpn-oam-req-frmk-09

Hello,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area directors.
 Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other
last call comments.

I studied the draft and a have the following COMMENTS and leave it at the
discretion of the ADs whether they want to raise any DISCUSS based on these
COMMENTS:

1. a few editorial:
Section 1:
s/relationship between two layered networks; Fault Detection at the server/
relationship between two layered networks, Fault Detection at the server

s/associated Pseudowires (PWs)/ associated Pseudo Wires (PWs)

unclear statements:
Section 1:
I found the following sentence imprecise and hard to understand:
"Performance Management deals with mechanism(s) that allow
determining and measuring the performance of network/services under
consideration and notification of them."

Section 1.1: I would suggest to add CE and PE to the terminology of this
document. It can only be derived from following a two-step indirect reference
(via RFC4664 and then the reference mentioned there, which is stated as "work
in progress"). For improved convenience the terminology should be referred
directly from the document, or even better and more simple just add those two
(CE and PE) to its Terminology.

2. the document does not state its intended status: based on its content and
its relationship to the two other referred RFCs 4664 and 4665, I would assume
it is Informational.
If this assumption is wrong, the intended status should be clarified ASAP.

3. The document does not seem to use RFC-2119 coherently. Throughout the
document there are numerous places where I do not understand why authors use
"must" instead of "MUST". One example:
Section 6.10:
Security implies that an OAM domain must be capable of filtering OAM frames.
=> should be: "Security implies that an OAM domain MUST be capable of filtering
OAM frames."

And:
"Also, OAM frames from outside the OAM domains should be either discarded (when
such OAM frames belong to same or lower-level OAM domain) or transparently
passed (when such OAM frames belong to a higher-level OAM domain)."
=> Should be at least:
"Also, OAM frames from outside the OAM domains SHOULD be either discarded (when
such OAM frames belong to same or lower-level OAM domain) or transparently
passed (when such OAM frames belong to a higher-level OAM domain)."
In the context of the sentence I even wonder if "MUST" isn't more precise, as
it MUST either be the first or the second.

Equivalent in Section 7.10.:
"Security implies that an OAM domain must be capable of filtering OAM frames."
=> should become: ""Security implies that an OAM domain MUST be capable of
filtering OAM frames."
And: "Also,VPWS OAM frames from outside the OAM domains should be either
discarded"
=> should become: "Also,VPWS OAM frames from outside the OAM domains MUST be
either discarded"

Please note, my personal opinion is that RFC-2119-language usage seems
incoherently throughout large parts of the document and not only in these two
sections. But maybe my personal expectation is not correct for an Informational
Draft in the context of this area.

4. The security Considerations (section 11) states that it does not need
further security considerations as it only imposes requirements to solutions
but does not describe the solutions themselves. In fact I believe this
statement to be wrong in even two ways:
1. the initial abstract declares this draft is about the requirements AND a
framework
2. even if the document would only be talking about requirements (and not about
any implications on a framework), it should still clearly include security
considerations for the requirements as they are already partially done in
section 6.10 and section 7.10.

Last but not least, if the authors would still like to keep this section (11)
as it is - which I would not recommend - they should consider to correct the
following spelling errors:
s/ For additional levels of security, the solutions may be required deploy to
encrypt and/or authenticate OAM frames inside an OAM domain however solutions
are out of the scope of this draft./For additional levels of security, the
solutions may be required to deploy encryption and/or authentication of OAM
frames inside an OAM domain, however solutions are out of the scope of this
draft.

5. Question: as the draft is heavily based on RFC4664 and 4665, I wonder
whether they should not better be normative references instead of informative
ones?

Best regards, Tobias

Tobias Gondrom
Head of Open Text Security Team
Director, Product Security

Open Text
Technopark 2
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 20
D-85630 Grasbrunn

Phone: +49 (0) 89 4629-1816
Mobile: +49 (0) 173 5942987
Telefax: +49 (0) 89 4629-33-1816
eMail: mailto:tobias(_dot_)gondrom(_at_)opentext(_dot_)com
Internet: http://www.opentext.com/

Place of Incorporation / Sitz der Gesellschaft: Open Text GmbH,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 20, 85630 Grasbrunn, Germany | Phone: +49 (0) 89 4629 0
| Fax: +49 (0) 89 4629 1199 | Register Court / Registergericht: München,
Germany | Trade Register Number / HRB: 168364 | VAT ID Number /USt-ID: DE 114
169 819 | Managing Director / Geschäftsführer: John Shackleton, Walter Köhler