Re: Incentives for using v6 (was Re: IPv4 Outage Planned...)

2007-12-18 02:20:38
> The key question therefore is this: Are we able to influence the
> majority of the large ISPs to do something like that?

As far as i see it, there are two ways to get ISPs to adopt a new technology:

a) it saves them substantial amounts of money
b) it provides something that users crave for

Sadly enough, i don't see how IPv6 fulfills either a) or b) before IPv4 addresses get so expensive that migration provides a), or that they start NATing DSL accounts as well, so the only way to get a public IP (which would be "b") is to use v6. Only a small minority of ISPs "believes" in technology so that offer it just because it's cool - 99% of them exist to make as much money as possible.

From the user's perspective, 99.999% of them don't care about the protocol as long as web pages load, their chat clients can sign in, email is delivered, and their p2p software works. Ask your GF/BF. Or your mother.

Last but not least, there's that joke that changing "certain" web pages in a way so that thumbnailed pics are available on IPv4, but for the full glory you have to use IPv6 would be a killer app :-)

cheers

Alex