Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-19 13:20:11
"Tony" == Tony Hain <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net> writes:

    Tony> the right experiment. It is not right because it does
    Tony> nothing positive, other than the threat -maybe- spurring
    Tony> some action. A more realistic experiment would be to run the
    Tony> entire week with a double-nat for IPv4 (and nats between the
    Tony> access points to simulate consumer-to-consumer
    Tony> configurations), where the most public one has absolutely no
    Tony> provision for punching holes (because realistically an ISP
    Tony> is not going to punch inbound holes for its customers, or
    Tony> allow them to).

I strongly support this experiment and believe it would be a really
good idea to run.  I do think behave-compatible nats should be used,
but besides that, I think the experiment you propose is far more
valuable than the v6-only experiment.