Re: Let's look at it from an IETF oldie's perspective... Re:IPv4Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-20 08:18:41
Ted,

There are many arguments going on. Very few people are actually that concerned
about the planned loss of connectivity. In fact I had an outage this morning as
the snow in new england brought my isp down for a while.

The problem is that this is not an experiment, it is a publicity event whether
we want it to be or not.

The question I and others are raising is which transition strategy we should
test. My expectaion from the experiment is that the majority of participants
will not even bother to try to connect to ipv6, in my case I have little choice
as my only laptop is a corporate laptop and the vpn client does not support
ipv6. I have admin privs but disabling the vpn policy enforcement would breach
security policy.

The other part of the debate is an examination of the political constraints
surrounding the transition. It appears that few people here have asked ISPs
many questions about their transition issues. Equally unhelpful are accusations
of the form 'you ar always taking the side of the isps'. We cannt suceed if we
treat them as adversaries, we need their help. They are businesses typically
run on the myopic vision of making the next quarter and nothing more.

I am currently talking to a company in a totally different business that
realized in 2000 that its entire product line would become obsolete in five
years time. What do you think they did about it? Their competitor stuck their
head in the sand and went bankrupt. The mere exhaustion of the ipv4 space, even
the complete collapse of the internet is unfortunately not a concern unless
either it is going to happen in the next two quarters or someone can get them
incredibly enthused about the opportunity for change.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)