Re: Change the subject! RE: [IAOC] Re: IPv4 Outage Planned forIETF71 Plenary

2007-12-31 10:32:16
On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 07:23:04AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
It depends on what you consider the role of an engineer to be. I am
a Chartered Engineer. The job you describe sounds more like that of
a technician.

Just as a chef knows evey part of the job of a sous-chef and cook an
engineer needs to know every part of the job of a technician. But an
engineer needs to know more. Like a chef the engineer has to accept
ultimate responsibility for creating a dish the customer likes.

If an engineer knows every part of the job of a technician, and the
technician can make IPv6 work on their laptop, then surely an
Certified Engineer should have no problems making IPv6 work on his or
her laptop!  :-)

One of the interesting things that sometimes shows up at some of the
cooking competition shows (in particular the recent competition for a
new Iron Chef on the Cooking Channel), is that sometimes by the time
someone achieves the title of chef, they sometimes end up getting
rusty or are otherwise unable to do the job of a sous-chef
competently.  I certainly agree with you that the true mark of a great
chef or an engineer, is that they be able to do the job of a sous-chef
or a technician better most sous-chefs or technicians.  Unfortunately,
this is often not the case.

(They can claim they are simply have no interest in trying --- "I'm a
*chef*, I'm too good to have to demonstrate that I can chop onions
quickly", but I sometimes think that is covering the fact that they no
longer have the ability.)

                                                - Ted

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)