Re: IPv4/IPv6 transition with Route Through RRs

2008-01-08 00:33:40
Willie Gillespie wrote:
<snip>
So, concerning Case #3 and Case #7, which is basically a IPv4 host on one end and a IPv6 host on the other:

If a IPv6-only host wants to connect to a IPv4-only host, could an RT record be used to point the IPv6 machine to a suitable IPv6-to-IPv4 gateway? * Perhaps a company would rather not (or cannot) change over their production IPv4 machines, but don't want to leave IPv6 customers in the dark. They would perform a simple DNS addition along with a gateway of sorts. (Maybe the "gateway" is a paid service of the ISP?) The "gateway" would have an IPv6 address and know how to simply bridge/relay traffic to and from a particular IPv4 address. This would make it very simple to "upgrade" existing IPv4 services to allow IPv6 traffic, without modifying existing systems.

(1) Would something like the above work?

Okay, so I was trying to think way too hard and overlooked the more simple solution. What I described here doesn't need any fancy experimental DNS record, it would just need an AAAA record pointing to the "gateway" machine and it would work as expected.

Still, probably the easiest transition for current IPv4 services to make if they are afraid of touching their production machines. An ISP could probably offer that service inline fairly easily and sell it to their customers until they were ready to dual-stack or whatnot.

Anyway, I guess question (4) still stands.... sorry for the unnecessary reading.

Willie