Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-net-utf8 (Unicode Format for Network Interchange) to Proposed Standard

2008-01-10 01:20:33
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:30:51PM +0100,
 Kent Karlsson <kent(_dot_)karlsson14(_at_)comhem(_dot_)se> wrote
 a message of 128 lines which said:

Upon reciept, the following SHOULD be seen as at least line ending
(or line separating), and in some cases more than that:

LF, CR+LF, VT, CR+VT, FF, CR+FF, CR (not followed by NUL...),
NEL, CR+NEL, LS, PS

The whole point of the Internet-Draft on Net-UTF8 is to limit the size
of the zoo of line endings. Accepting "everything in Unicode which
looks like a line ending" seems strange to me. Do you know any
Internet *protocol* which accepts several line endings? (Some Internet
*applications* do so, in the name of the robustness principle, but for
a protocol, I think it is a really bad idea.)