Re: houston.rr.com MX fubar?

2008-01-17 04:31:13
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mark Andrews wrote:

      a) when RFC 2821 was written IPv6 existed and RFC 2821 acknowledged
         its existance.  It did DID NOT say synthesize from AAAA.

RFC 2821 only talks about IPv6 domain literals. The MX resolution
algorithm in section 5 is written as if in complete ignorance of IPv6 so
it is reasonable to interpret it in the way that RFC 3974 does. If you
wanted to rule out MX synthesis from AAAA then it should have been written
down ten years ago. It's too late now.

They have already been upgraded in this way. Even without fallback-to-
AAAA, they have to be upgraded to handle IPv6 anyway, because the IPv4
MX lookup algorithm breaks as I described in
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg49843.html

      MX additional section is a optimization.  The lack of AAAA or
      A records is NOT a bug.

Perhaps you could explain why the problem I described in the URL above
isn't actually a problem.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
FISHER: WEST 4 OR 5, BACKING SOUTHEAST BECOMING CYCLONIC 5 TO 7, PERHAPS GALE