Transition Email Configuration Changes

2008-01-29 12:35:10
There have been some changes in the email configuration that may be noticeable to you after the cut-over.

1. We have updated the SPAM filtering of all email. This change should reduce the overall amount of SPAM received by the IETF. It is also an opportunity to remind the community of the IETF policy regarding SPAM filtering found here:

  http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt

The point in that policy to be highlighted here is that if a message directed to a mailing list with a public archive is determined to be SPAM, it is reasonable and acceptable to discard the message. The originator of the message is responsible for checking the public archive to determine if the message was distributed or not. This is particularly true if you are not a
  subscriber of the mailing list in question.

For mailing lists with private archives the messages are not discarded, e.g., for the iesg and iab mailing lists. The current procedure of maintaining a master whitelist of all valid email addresses will be continued. Thus, the first time you send a message to the IESG or IAB you will receive a challenge request to which you must respond in order for your message to be delivered. Note that the existing master whitelist has been carried forward so if you have already responded to a challenge
  you are all set.

2. All IAB, IESG, and IRTF email addresses and mailing lists have been moved to their respective domains: iab.org, iesg.org,
  irtf.org.

For example, the IAB email address will be iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org and the IESG email address will be iesg(_at_)iesg(_dot_)org after the cut-over. In all cases there will be aliases in the ietf.org domain to forward everything appropriately but you may need to update your email
  filters.

This change is in support of an architectural principle that separates services. The IAB currently has its own web site and this is a logical extension of that. The IESG does not have its own web site, it is currently part of the main IETF web site, but after the transition we will be working towards moving them to their own web site.

3. We may need to back fill mailing list archives after the  cut-over.

Although we will have all mailing list archives we may not get them in place before we restore services. The primary goal is for the down time to be as short as possible. If we have time we will make sure all archives are properly merged but if necessary we will delay this task until after the cut-over. We will let the community know if this is the case in the post-cut-over
  announcement.

The change here is that the use of the domain name "www1.ietf.org" has been deprecated. Of course a CNAME record will remain in the DNS indefinitely but you should review any bookmarks you may have to see if they need to be updated.

If you notice any other issues or experience any other problems, please do report it immediately to ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Be sure to
include enough information to ensure the problem can be reproduced.

Thanks.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrator