transitioning email rules

2008-02-05 15:38:27
I assume that others have come across this problem as well,
but I haven't seen anything mentioned about it on this list or the IETF
sites.

I receive over 500 non-spam emails every day (peaks can reach 1000).
These include emails from about 15 IETF lists,
about 25 other standardization lists, some 20 lists on technical topics,

multiple internal corporate lists, (and even a few emails sent only to
me).

The only way I can deal with this load and maintain my sanity
is by using a large set of sorting rules.
I have quite a few rules dealing with IETF emails that all worked well
until the transition.

Some of my rules look for [WG-NAME] in the subject line.
However, some WG lists (e.g. L2VPN) do not use this convention .
Also, I sometimes have trouble when I forward an email to someone "for
information"
who then returns an urgent answer leaving the subject line intact.

Some of my rules WERE based on the sender,
for example, mails from ietf-announce-request(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)
With the transition the sender changed to
ietf-announce-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)

I exchanged emails with ietf-action(_at_)amsl(_dot_)com and was told that this
kind of change was here to stay. Being somewhat skeptical I decided to
change
the logic and to focus on the list to which it was sent, rather than the
sender.
I had avoided this in the past, since frequently people email someone
else
and only cc the list, making the logic more intricate.

These new rules work some of the time, but not always.
For example, in the past emails to the MPLS WG list
(that were from mpls-request(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org but now come from
mpls-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)
were sent to mpls(_at_)lists(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org . I modified my rule to flag
this list
address.
But now the emails are being directed to mpls(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org !

Would it be possible to post information that would help here ?
What is constant and can be relied upon ?
Would it be possible to set up guidelines for WGs to follow,
including those (e.g. NTP) who use non-IETF domains ?

Y(J)S