RE: AMS - IETF Press Release

2008-02-12 12:43:41
Actually it does not.

The real problem here is the loser MUAs and MTAs that reformat text to
wrap at 60 or 80 cols. It does not matter how you paste the URL, if it
is longer than 60 cols it is quite likely to get mangled en-route.

If you use a modern version of outlook it will often work out how to
undo the damage caused by brain-damaged line wrapping algorithms.

It is not like it is difficult to write an MUA that does not wrap text
or one that only inserts line breaks at spaces.

Of course the even simpler solution is to use a text markup that is
better suited to the purposes of email than plaintext. HTML is an
improvement but not as suited to the purpose as a dedicated markup could
be.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:18 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: AMS - IETF Press Release

The strong consensus of users is that cut and paste should work for
URLs in email clients. Blame the lazyness of the email client
providers, not the users.

But if you cut and paste between a pair of angle brackets, you have a
much better chance of presenting the reader with a clickable URL.

I really do not think that would be how to cut and paste URLs so that
they work with MUTT.

I have no idea about MUTT but I do know that pasting into a pair of
angle brackets provides clickable URLs to Outlook users even if the URL
contains spaces or is very long.

--Michael Dillon