Re: Last Call: draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri (The 'news' and 'nntp' URI Schemes) to Proposed Standard

2008-02-22 13:28:57
I have read this I-D and believe it should be published as an RFC.

The author has a challenging task in that on the one hand, there is a pressing
need to provide a replacement for parts of the, by now very ancient, RFC1738
while on the other, the subject matter is a moving target and it will be
possible for some time to come to defer publication and then to produce a more
up-to-date, perhaps better, version.  I think that the author gets the balance
right and that this should be published.  Perhaps, in a year or two, when the
surrounding landscape is more stable, there will be scope for a revision but
that it would be wrong to defer publication on account of that possibility.

I did not understand the second paragraph of s8.3 at first and believe that this
should be made clearer, in line with the explanation that the author provided on
the uri.w3.org mailing list.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF-Announce" <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:18 AM
Subject: Last Call: draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri (The 'news' and 'nntp' URI
Schemes) to Proposed Standard

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'The 'news' and 'nntp' URI Schemes '
   <draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2008-03-17. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case,
please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-08.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=13153&rf