Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt

2008-04-01 16:24:15
Hi, Bharat,

What follows is my suggestion only, so please filter it appropriately...

5.  Definitions

   pimBsrCandidateRPStatus OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     RowStatus
       MAX-ACCESS read-create
       STATUS     current
       DESCRIPTION
               "The status of this row, by which new entries may be
               created, or old entries deleted from this table.

Clarity: I'm sorry, but I don't get "status by which new entries may be
created/old entries deleted" - is that actually how it works? I would
have
thought the status was the side effect of creation/deletion, not how
creation/deletion actually happens. s/by which new/used to identify when
new/? but I'm guessing here.

The 'RowStatus' object is used for two purposes. One is to provide the
current status of a Row and another is to create/delete a specific Row.
So this statement looks ok.

Your explanation is very helpful. It would be great if your explanation
ended up in the description itself. Perhaps something like

        DESCRIPTION
                "The status of this Row, used for two purposes - to create
or
                 delete a specific Row from this table, and to provide the
                 status of a Row in this table"

If you're using a technique that's commonly used in MIB-land, fine, but
manipulating an object by changing its "status" violates the principle of
least astonishment, at least for this reader :-)

Either way - thanks for the quick response. Gen-ART reviewers love quick

Spencer