RE: [Ietf-krb-wg] Late Last Call comments: draft-ietf-krb-wg-anonymous

2008-04-09 12:53:25
Sam wrote:
As it turns out, a client cannot check ticket flags: it doesn't actually know
 the key needed to decrypt the ticket.
Perhaps you mean that the client should check the KDC flags.

The KDC duplicates the tickets flag in the EncKDCRepPart and the client can
check that. I would propose the following changes to clarify this point.

356,359c365,368
<    by checking the presence of the anonymous ticket flag.  This is
<    because KDCs ignore unknown KDC options.  A KDC that does not
<    understand the anonymous KDC option will not return an error, but
<    will instead return a normal ticket.
---
   by checking the presence of the anonymous ticket flag in the flags
   field of the EncKDCRepPart.  This is because KDCs ignore unknown KDC
   options.  A KDC that does not understand the anonymous KDC option
   will not return an error, but will instead return a normal ticket.

First, if I call gss_display_name  on an anonymous principal in an acceptor,
what do I expect to get back?

Would section 2.1.1 of RFC1964 be sufficient for this purpose?

Second, if I provide the anonymous name to a KDC in an AS-REP with the
anonymous option set, but don't provide padata, should I expect a
preauth_required error from the KDC listing pkinit?

Yes, I would like to propose the following new sentence into section 4 to make
this clear.

262a266,269
   The KDC conforming to this specification MUST indicate the support of
   anonymous PKINIT as described above in this section according to
   Section 3.4 of [RFC4556].

Let me know if you do not believe these changes are editorial and if any of all
your concerns is not sufficiently addressed.

Thanks,

--larry