IETF Registration cancellations (was: Re: Dublin Registration Open!

2008-04-11 05:17:23
--On Thursday, 10 April, 2008 20:45 -0400 Ray Pelletier
<rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> wrote:

The correct contract conditions for reservations at Citywest
are located here: http://www.citywesthotel.com/site/ietf.aspx

Specifically:
All Reservations are transferable.

Cancellation: Individuals can cancel the reservation without
penalty up to 3 days prior to arrival.

Ray,

While we are on the subject of reservation cancellations, I've
noticed the innovation of a cancellation fee for actual meeting
registrations, even if they are cancelled long in advance.  I
can understand such a fee if cancellations well before the
registration cut-off cause the Secretariat administrative time
or other aggravation (such as processing credit card refunds for
payments).  But those costs are presumably fixed and fairly low
-- pegging them to a non-trivial percentage of an ever-rising
registration fee seems excessive unless the Secretariat and/or
IAOC see cancellations as a "revenue opportunity".

Could you comment?

     thanks,
       john