Re: Random Network Endpoint Technology (RNET)

2008-05-21 14:50:00
So we have reinvented STUN?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Giffin <typosity(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>

Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:09:54
To:<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc:db(_at_)db(_dot_)net, kdc(_at_)cc(_dot_)umanitoba(_dot_)ca
Subject: Random Network Endpoint Technology (RNET)

The following is an explanation of how to accomplish setting up a path of
communication between two RNET Hosts. Some of you may have already figured this
out... now you have the definitive answer.

Consider this; You have two RNET Hosts, host A and host B. Both hosts wish to
communicate with each other. Since both used un-advertised IP addresses, this
seems impossible. The solution is to setup a route path between them so that
the routers between them will forward packets destined for each of the two
hosts.

The operator of host A must contact the operator of host B through some other
means of communication. The operator of host A need only acquire the,
advertised, IP address of host B's gateway. Once this is done, host A sends an
RNET Route Request specifying the host B's address as the target address and
directs this request to the gateway of host B. The result is that all the
routers in between host A and host B will have setup an RNET Route entry for
host A as the RNET Host and with host B as the Target Host. At this point
either host may initiate contact with the other as the routers between them
will know where to forward their packet(s).

I hope this clears up any confusion or misunderstanding (or lack thereof.)

If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to email me directly
at mailto:typosity(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:typosity(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> .

 Sincerely,

 Chad Christopher Giffin
 T-Net Information Systems
 (a.k.a. "typo")