Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

2008-05-22 10:09:25

Here is a concrete suggestion.

We (for some definition of we) have the Internet Journal, which is
paper.
Publish a "Supplement of the Internet Journal," in paper, or on line,
which is

- physically published 3 times a year
- has all of the RFC's published since then

The average RFC is 30 pages, and the average publication rate
is O(30) per month.  That seems to work out to 3600 pages to
be published with each Internet Journal.

Bob Braden

- includes the level 1 RFC errata as available
- includes other notes like RFC's that have been made obsolete, etc.
- charge it to cover costs at least (say, $ 500 / year for a
subscription).

This would be picked up by at least some libraries, and would solve
the "on-line is ephemera" problem.

Regards
Marshall

Marshall, to your point:

It is easy to find RFC's now, but it may not be in a century.

This may seem silly, but I think that RFCs will still
have relevance in a century and, having experience
searching for 100+ year old astronomical publications
and data, in my opinion, RFC's need to be cataloged in
libraries.

Libraries have running code for the maintenance of
intellectual property over centuries; the IETF does not.

I agree with you 100%.  I think this is indeed a tangible and
desirable objective.

Indeed.  And libraries, especially the subset of libraries that
have national archival responsibilities, do pay attention to
these identifiers.

     john