Re: SHOULD vs MUST case sensitivity

2008-06-27 11:18:00
Dave Crocker wrote:
Eric Gray wrote:
(By the way, I hope folks are clear that IETF use of these words as
normative
does not depend upon the case that is used?)

This is NOT true. These terms are explicitly defined in all capital letters to make it possible to distinguish when they are being used as normative and
when they are not.

Sorry, no.  Please re-read rfc 2219.  Specifically:

     "These words are often capitalized."

The key word is "often" which means not always which means not required.

Of course.

My understanding that everything in an RFC is normative, unless stated otherwise.

If this wouldn't be the case, how could something as important as STD66 be written without a single RFC2119 keyword?

BR, Julian