Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-06-30 12:30:10
On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
Speaking technically, how would you distinguish the top-level domain
"127.0.0.1" from the IP address 127.0.0.1?

A word while passing here: is there a document (RFC, Posix standard,
whatever) which says which is the right result in such a case?

Not that I'm aware of (and that's sort of the point), however there is a lot of code out there that are variations on checking to see if a string is comprised of all digits and '.' and if so, declares the string to be an IP address. If an all-numeric TLD were to be created, I would expect lots of unexpected behavior.

Sort of like the concerns about unexpected behavior that resulted in rejecting UTF-8 labels and coming up with punycode.

So, I would say there is a normalization failure here: since 127.0.0.1
can be a domain name and an IP address, we really should have
precedence rules for such case (instead of asking ICANN to solve them
by forbidding all-numeric TLD).

I'm not asking that ICANN solve this problem, rather that the IETF solve it so that ICANN can point to the IETF solution. Having been in some of the discussion internally within ICANN on this topic, I figure something like this would be really nice...

Regards,
-drc