RE: SHOULD vs MUST case sensitivity

2008-07-01 08:13:41
Looks good, but needs some smitthing.

I think that the sense that I would want is:

* Whenever the keywords are used they are to be considered normative
* Whenever the keywords are used they SHOULD be capitalized
* Editors SHOULD avoid use of normative keywords for non-normative language,
even in drafts.

The reason for the last is that it is very common for folk to go through a
doucument 'to make sure all the keywords are capitalized as they should be'.
This is particularly so where older RFCs are being revised. A standards
document should be robust in the face of search and replace changes to the text.

I would ideally like to see a normative keyword tag added to the XML2RFC markup
to make it easy to construct tables of normative requirements as are required
for interop testing and are beginning to appear in some specs.

So the marku would be something like:

<t>Normative keywords <normative key="should">Only use normative keywords to
specify normative language</normative> only be used to specify normative
language.</t>

And this would allow a table such as the following to be created:

NORMATIVE REQUIREMENTS

SHOULD

Section 2.1 p 3: Only use normative keywords to specify normative language