Re: Qualitative Analysis of IETF and IESG trends (Re: Measuring IETF and IESG trends)

2008-07-01 14:59:01
On 2008-07-02 09:07, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Of course, we also get complaints whenever anyone raises an issue
without providing text.  So, by a strict reading of the argument, the AD
is hanged if he provides text (directing the working group) and hanged
if he does not provide text (you didn't make clear what your problem is,
and how to fix it.)

There is, I think a big difference between an AD writing

(a) "Here is the fix for my problem"
and
(b) "Here is my proposal for one way to fix this issue; there may of
course be other ways to do so, so please let me know what the WG
prefers to do."

But that takes time to type in, and an overloaded AD (or reviewer)
will be very tempted just to write "Suggested fix:".

Maybe we should assign specific (b) semantics to SUGGESTION and
use that as shorthand?

    Brian