Disappointing to not have plenary slides online for remote participants...

2008-07-31 09:56:30
Being a remote participant (for the first time) at this IETF 72 meeting, I have to say that my main disappointment was that some or all of the slides for the two plenary sessions were not available at the time of the plenary.

In the Wednesday Plenary, only two of the 4 IPv6 presentations were available. The ARIN presentation, in particular, had a number of charts that made it rather useless to be listening to the audio as we had no clue what was being discussed. The two missing presentations were later uploaded, but they were not available when they were being discussed.

In the Thursday Plenary, *none* of the presentations were available outside of the one-slide agenda and the Note Well. This left those of us listening to the audio (and in the Jabber room) without much context for what was being said.

I applaud the efforts the IETF makes to allow for remote participation. At IETF 72, the audio streams generally worked very well with only a few minor glitches on the ones I listened to. In contrast to IETF 71, the Jabber server worked great with no outages that I saw. The groups I attended all had good Jabber scribes. Most all of the working groups had their slides up in time for the sessions (some did this better than others, getting them up sometimes a day in advance). While obviously not as good as actually being there in person, the remote participation experience was pretty decent.

My only major disappointment as a remote participant was really that I didn't have some or all of the slides and therefore the context for the audio of the plenary sessions.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork(_at_)voxeo(_dot_)com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free