Re: "reality" vs. "principle" (was Re: About IETF communication skills)

2008-08-04 09:00:53
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>

Love the email address...

    > IPv4 NATs cause problems .. because they rob applications developers of
    > functionality, make the net less reliable and less flexible, increase
    > the cost of running applications and raise the barrier for new
    > applications, and increase the effort and expense required to
    > troubleshoot problems.

These things may or may not have been perfectly understood a priori by those
who deployed NATs, but my sense is that even if the world had to do it all
over again, they'd do it all again, for a simple reason: these costs of NAT
were outweighed by the benefits of NAT (allowing network expansion with
little additional coding/engineering/deployment investment; also, it allowing
other higher bang/buck things, such as advanced Web stuff, to be done, by
allocating that effort elsewhere).

    > NATs don't cause us problems because they violate principles, they
    > cause us problems because they break things. But the fact that the
    > principles were being violated by NATs, was a clue that significant
    > problems might result from their use. Sadly, many people ignored those
    > clues because they didn't trust arguments that appealed primarily to
    > principle... and by the time the actual problems were well-understood,
    > it was too late.

The first part of this I concur with, but not your conclusion; see the
previous comment.

        Noel