Strong Opposition due to blowback issues - Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject

2008-08-07 14:10:32
Hello.  I am the original author of this I-D.
I am strongly opposed to the document in its current form (-07).
I wrote the original draft primarily to address the backscatter
problem* from Sieve implementations that I worked with, problems
the creation of which was mandated by the original Sieve
specification.
I wrote (with assistance from Alexey Melnikov) several drafts,
which effectively addressed my concerns.  Versions that
accomplished the goal that motivated the whole effort were
developed that were entirely adequate for becoming an RFC-level
standard, however bitrot set in, along with an effort to simplify
the base specification which created a need for significant
changes.   They also received a stronger level of support than
-07.
I will be introducing and arguing for a revision subsequent to
the current -07 draft to address the concerns I have raised
on-list, and request that the IESG not make a decision in less
than a few weeks so I have a chance to do so and receive
feedback.
Recent versions have been a fundamental departure from the
versions that have Alexey and I listed as coauthors, and pervert
the goal of the standard I initiated.
I do not believe the IETF wants to be known for knowingly
exacerbating the spam problem, in particular the backscatter
problem, and I belive adoption of -07 does that by endorsing a
practice and architecture that does so, i.e. the archaic
store-and-forward, instead of the modern 'transparent SMTP
proxy'** architecture.
*[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(e-mail)
**[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_SMTP_proxy