Re: Last Call: RFC2183 to obsolete RFC1806

2008-09-08 08:08:26

--On Wednesday, 03 September, 2008 15:32 -0700 The IESG
<iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

An errata has been submitted to update the RFC Index such that
RFC2183, "Communicating Presentation Information in Internet
Messages: The Content-Disposition Header Field", is marked as
obsoleting RFC1806, "Communicating Presentation Information
in Internet Messages:  The Content-Disposition Header", rather
than as updating the same document.

- http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=2183&eid=1457
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2183
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1806

Since the approval of this errata would mark an RFC as
obsoleted, the IESG solicits final comments on this errata
approval.

Folks, while I generally favor the IESG asking the community for
input when it needs community consensus on something, this seems
excessive.  2183 is a Proposed Standard.  1806 is Experimental.
The third paragraph (!) of the Abstract to 2183 reads:

        "This document is a revision to the Experimental
        protocol defined in RFC 1806.  As compared to RFC 1806,
        this document contains minor editorial updates, adds new
        parameters needed to support the File Transfer Body
        Part, and references a separate specification for the
        handling of non-ASCII and/or very long parameter values."

Now, that combination, plus a quick examination of some of the
rest of the text of 2183, leads me to believe that the
classification of "updates" rather than "obsoletes" in the RFC
index is a pure clerical error and the appropriate subject of a
erratum.

I fear that we are, with the best of intentions, once again
getting bogged down in procedures that unreasonably delay
getting the right thing to happen.

More specifically:

        (1) In general, if an Experimental document is replaced
        (or "revised") by a Standards Track one, that should
        constitute "obsoleting" the old one.

        (2) Given the general tone of the review requirements in
        2026 (even though we never follow them), the IESG should
        be able to obsolete _any_ thirteen-year-old Experimental
        document that has not been replaced or supplemented by
        (i) a standards-track document (ii) a new experimental
        document, or (iii) a report on the experiment unless the
        experiment has clearly turned into common practice.
        Given "Internet time", the necessary window should be a
        lot shorter than 13 years.  I believe and hope that we
        can trust the IESG's discretion on this subject.

        (3) Just for the record, I believe that the _correct_
        action here, albeit one that the IESG clearly cannot
        take on its own, is to issue a Draft Standard document
        that obsoletes both documents.   This is, after all, a
        13-year-old header field and an 11-year-old standards
        track protocol.  The latter is widely deployed and many
        MUAs depend on it.  The last decade has, IMO, shown up
        some completely predictable interoperability issues that
        2183 mostly dodges with "MUA might" or other MUA
        discretion language.  I believe that we've now got
        enough experience to offer better guidance and maybe
        even identify more traps and that doing so should not be
        a lot of effort (unless the IESG insists on a complete
        document restructuring to conform to some current
        convention).  But so it goes.

I do not believe that either of the first two cases above
require or justify a Last Call, even though a significant change
in the status of a Standards-Track document almost certainly
should.  I would suggest that, in general, the IESG simply issue
a Document Action notice on such things and see if anyone
protests.  For the second case, where an Experimental
specification is the only published specification of something
that is in wide use, consulting the community is probably
desirable (although an updated, non-Experimental, document would
be better).  But, if there is not sufficient expertise in the
IESG to make at least a preliminary determination as to whether
an Experimental Protocol is in wide use, I suggest we have much
broader problems than the classification of a document.

Please reserve Last Calls for situations in which community
input or demonstrations of community consensus are actually
needed.

    john