Re: [rfc-i] The RFC Editor and the Internet Standards Process

2008-09-10 06:21:58

On Sep 9, 2008, at 9:56 PM, SM wrote:

Hello,

A proposal was posted at
http://www.iab.org/documents/resources/RFC-Editor-Model.html about a
new structure for the RFC Editor.  I read about the Internet
Standards Process and couldn't find the answer to a question.

Quoting Section 4.2.3 of RFC 2606:

  "The RFC Editor is expected to exercise his or her judgment
concerning the editorial
   suitability of a document for publication with Experimental or
Informational status, and may refuse to publish a document which, in
   the expert opinion of the RFC Editor, is unrelated to Internet
   activity or falls below the technical and/or editorial standard for
   RFCs."

Furthermore,

   ".. the IESG and the RFC Editor have agreed that the RFC Editor
   will refer to the IESG any document submitted for Experimental or
   Informational publication which, in the opinion of the RFC Editor,
may be related to work being done, or expected to be done, within the
   IETF community."

Given that the RFC Editor is explicitly mentioned in RFC 2026, does
RFC 2606 have to be revised to bring it in line with the proposed structure?

I would argue that 2026 does not need to be revised.

The model discribes the collective of functions that taken together we call "The RFC Editor". Various people have already commented that using the same words for one of the functions is confusing.

More to the point 4.2.3 is about what we have started to call the independent submissions and it is the Independent Submission Editor function in the model that takes the responsibilities that are described in the paragraph above.

Also see RFC4844 and RFC4846.

--Olaf