Fw: Proposal for .gb (great britain) suffix & alteration of the k alphabet in .uk

2008-09-29 14:49:06
fyi

Regards

Meeku
http://twitter.com/nepotism

--- On Mon, 29/9/08, linuxa linux <linuxalinux(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

From: linuxa linux <linuxalinux(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Subject: Proposal for .gb (great britain) suffix & alteration of the k
alphabet in .uk
To: bob(_dot_)gilbert(_at_)nominet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk,
lesley(_dot_)cowley(_at_)nominet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk
Cc: support(_at_)nominet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk,
nominet(_at_)nominet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk
Date: Monday, 29 September, 2008, 7:42 PM
I wrote the below and presented it to Unicode.org and
IETF.org.  Based on this I would like to offer this proposal
to Nominet.org.uk:

(1)  Create .gb (Great Britain) suffixes
(2)  Alter the k alphabet in .uk suffixes to क thus .uk
alters to .uक

This is a public campaign for replacing the k/K shape
alphabets and thus I have put this action at
http://www.twitter.com/nepotism

".....Due to the ASCII character encoding being the
core/monopoly and primarily basis to the internet/web
infrastructure that has become the conventional starting
point for subsequent Unicode and Punycode character encoded
internet/web, this has brought usability and integration
problems for a truly multilingual internet/web because
presently you cannot have domain names that are
multilingual, for example: japanese and english language
mixed character domain names, hindi and english language
mixed character domain names etc.

Another example, there is not much browser / URL bar
integration and usability innovation that allow for a
non-ASCII language domain name to stay non-ASCII script on
the browser / URL bar without it changing to Punycode.

Thus there is a basic underlying problem that can only be
rectified when all the languages get represented on the
internet/web infrastructure and not only ASCII character
encoded languages.  ASCII monopoly has not helped usability
and integration for the internet/web and a Unicode approach
is need.  Unicode has accomplished things at the
non-internet computer ground and now it needs to expand at
the internet/web ground.  Otherwise things are not equal
between the ASCII and non-ASCII languages.  For example you
are seeing Punycode and not the non-ASCII script for
non-ASCII domain names on the browser / URL bars -- a
solution for this example here could perhaps be to have even
ASCII based domain names to be also Punycoded as a standard
not just non-ASCII based domain names to be Punycoded, thus
bringing equality.  When you get equality between the two
then there will be browser / URL bar integration and
usability innovation simultaneously between all the
languages.  I put this to Tina Dam at ICANN, the person
handling these issues and Paul Twomey, the ICANN
President/CEO and Pamela Miller at PIR the .ORG registry a
few months ago however there was not much progress with
them.....

.....Fyi, I said to the ICANN-family that they was nepotism
because they were not showing equality when it cam to the
multilingual internet/web.....Why should ASCII based
internet/web always be the primarily and conventional way
for the internet/web?  Non-ASCII languages should also
become part of the internet/web infrastructure and
Unicode.org and ICANN.org [and IETF.org] etc should make
this a truly multilingual internet/web a reality.

I now move to another topic and this is to ask the list if
it is possible to get a different alphabet shape (and code
point) on the english/european Unicode Table group/s that
can allow the option to replace a particular
english/european unicode alphabet at both upper and lower
cases if the user / viewer wish?  I can understand that
there is not a precedent however would a public petition be
the way?  Please say what the requirements and procedures
are?  Also based upon this, please can someone say how ASCII
can be altered also to accommodate this?.....

.....Specifically I would like to discuss the 11th letter
of the english/european language, please view this posting
with UTF-8.

I would like users and viewers the option not to use the k
and K shaped letters of the english/european languages for
their english/european language usages and instead use
another alphabet, lower and upper case क.

There is a BBT font that does this and I state how via what
someone mentioned:  "English font where the glyph
representing the English "k"(Unicode 0x004B and
0x006B) has been replaced by a glyph representing the Hindi
[I would say Devanagri] "ka"(0x0915)" [क].

You can get the BBT font from here:
http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/BBT/239

The BBT font has both a lower and upper case equivalents
for क.  The lower case क is not on the Unicode Table and
thus does not have a code point.

Also when you use the unicode code point 0915 alphabet
[क] on the internet/web, the output generated is not
qualitatively exactly the same compared to what you see on
the Unicode Table at Unicode.org, for example the left upper
swirl on the devanagri alphabet क is not meeting the line,
see http://www.geocities.com/linuxalinux/2325.html
This becomes more visible the more you magnify the browser
view.

Then when you try to use the devanagri alphabet क with
the other english/european alphabets on a website, the line
spacing is not equal, see
http://www.geocities.com/linuxalinux/testingk.html and this
becomes more visible the more you magnify the browser view.

Thus I would like to find out how a different alphabet
(क) can be a given new code points and put on the
english/european Unicode Table for usage by these languages?
 This is obviously new and there is not any precedent thus
would a public petition will be the only way for it to be
considered and justified?

Other further information is available from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWRw0-zyYM
http://Kalphabet.googlepages.com "

Regards

Meeku