RE: [BEHAVE] Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impacttoapplicationdevelopers

2008-12-02 14:47:56
Why should anyone care if an internal network is on IPv6 or not? That is
probably the silliest part of the NAT66 debate. I am only going to be deploying
IPv6 for the few hosts that actually need to receive inbound connections. And I
don't expect that to be more than a few hosts on a home network regardless of
how much home automation I have.

The only place where we need IPv6 is on the backbone. Folk can run their
internal protocols over a transport mechanism of small pyramids with hand
engraving performed by a small army of elves for all I care (although I would
appreciate a YouTube video of those who are using that mechanism).

If you look at the strategy for the end-of-life for IPv4, surely it will
involve placing every network that is not already behind a NAT behind NAT64? As
in, the day that IPv4 addresses are no longer being maintained by the NICs and
the backbone routers are refusing to accept BGP traffic advertising v4. At that
point even NET18 is going to be sequestered behind a NAT because the day that
the Internet shuts down IPv4 will come at least 20 years before endpoints stop
doing IPv4.

Even if some of my home devices have IPv4, that is not going to be the general
case.

If we had assigned five bytes to IPv4 addresses instead of 4 or we had started
on a slightly smaller planet, we would not be talking about IPv6 at all, even
though 2^40 bytes would clearly be insufficient. Instead we would adopt a two
tier architecture and assign IP addresses to networks rather than hosts.