Re: New boilerplate (was: Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-igoe-secsh-aes-gcm-00)

2008-12-04 11:09:43
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Doug Ewell <doug(_at_)ewellic(_dot_)org> wrote:
Ben Campbell <ben at estacado dot net> wrote:

--Don't forget the new boilerplate, depending on the timing of publication

I submitted a draft earlier today and (reluctantly) had to settle for the
old boilerplate, because:

(a) xml2rfc doesn't yet support the new boilerplate

There's a new release now - 1.34pre2 - which generates the new
boilerplate for new documents.  It's not a final release yet because
it sometimes generates new boilerplate for old documents, too.

(b) the official "Legal Provisions" document is 6 pages of legalese, and I'm
not enough of a lawyer to sort out which parts I'm supposed to insert where,
and what existing text I'm supposed to remove.

As far as I know, sections 6.a and 6.b are the required bits, and 6.c
can be used to restrict derivatives or publication.  These replace all
the boilerplate except the I-D boilerplate (e.g., remove anything that
currently appears in
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html#iprnotices or
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html#anchor3).

(Why am I pointing at a document with me as an author that describes
the old boilerplate?  I passed off authorship to this document because
I am wary of the apparently-litigious nature of a couple of
participants in the ipr wg, and I'm not covered by the IETF's
liability insurance any more.)

  Bill