Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery (DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery) to Proposed Standard

2008-12-10 11:01:51
I wanted to send a message about my conclusion of this thread, as the draft is now progressing to IESG review.

I sympathize with the desire to pull as much data as possible with a simple request and no prior knowledge of what sessions exist. I think it is obvious that with a better understanding of how to use SNMP, we can avoid the silliest approach to pulling data -- I hope there is a way to provide better education on how to use SNMP for something like this. But I'm not expert enough to say whether you can reach exactly an equivalent model as this draft has. Maybe.

Nevertheless, it is clear to me that there is consensus in the WG to do this. They are chartered to do infrastructure improvements (such as this one) to DHCP. There are customers who need to do this. The last call discussion has raised alternative ways to implement this but no specific problems in the current approach. I believe that in this case we need to let the WG use the approach they have chosen. More generally, I believe that if there are specific data access needs in applications for large volume, bulk, etc -- the WGs in charge of those applications can choose the approach they want to use for the access to the data. While most of our management needs are fulfilled by MIBs, I do not think we can preclude other solutions for specialized situations, such as recovering DHCP session data.

Jari