Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-08 17:28:34
Ed,

Thanks for this.

As I understand it, the proposal boils down to adding a disclaimer to
affected documents that reads:

"This document contains material from IETF Documents or IETF Contributions
published before November 10, 2008 and, to the Contributor’s knowledge,
the person(s) controlling the copyright in such material have not granted
the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of such material outside
the IETF Standards Process. Without obtaining an adequate license from the
person(s) controlling the copyright, this document may not be modified outside
the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may not be created
outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it for publication as
an RFC and to translate it into languages other than English."

That's a little bit long-winded but I agree that this is a correct fix.
However, I didn't see in your note an explanation of the procedure
for approving the use of this boilerplate (and preventing it being
used simply as an easy way out). Rather than ranting about that, I
will shortly submit an I-D that makes a concrete and, I hope, simple
proposal for that as a fix to RFC5378. I see no reason that we need
to revisit RFC5378 in a fundamental way.

Regards

      Brian