Re: Last Call: draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf (Reduced Backus-Naur Form (RBNF) A Syntax Used in Various Protocol Specifications) to Proposed Standard

2009-01-21 17:12:42
A) The start of this I-D seems a little coy - 'various protocol specifications'
'several protocols' - and this is reflected in the Abstract and Introduction.
Reading between the lines, this seems to have had its genesis in the 'Sub-IP
Area' specification; nothing wrong with that, but the coyness seems misplaced.

More generally, I think that this I-D cries out for an Applicability Statement.
It makes brief reference to RFC5234 but contains no guidance that I can see as
to when this standard should be used or when RFC5234 should be.  The IETF has a
history of producing multiple standards and letting the market decide but I
think that we do a better job when we give guidance.

B) Coyness again, in its definitions
'The basic building blocks of BNF are rules and operators'
but what is a rule?  RFC5234 eg says

"A rule is defined by the following sequence:
         name =  elements crlf"

and I think that something similar is needed here (or else make RFC5234 a
normative reference:-)

C) In a similar vein, to me, and perhaps to many in the IETF, it is RFC5234 or
its precursors that represent the 'standard' meta-syntactic language.  Some
comparison of the functionality would be helpful, as an informative Appendix.
Is this a proper subset, if not, then where?

D) As s.2.4 says.

'Precedence is the main opportunity for confusion in the use of BNF.'

I think this should go further.  The underlying reason IMO is because the
concatenation mechanism, the one with no operator, takes precedence over the
alternative operator, and this is counter-intuitive.  RFC5234 spells this out
' Use of the alternative operator, freely mixed with concatenations,
   can be confusing.'
and, IPR permitting (I note that this was submitted pre-5378 but any revision
would not be:-), I suggest incorporating such text.

Tom Petch