Re: Please Review Draft IESG Statement on Activities that are OBE

2009-02-03 15:15:10
Hi -

From: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
To: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)wonderhamster(_dot_)org>; "Harald
Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: Please Review Draft IESG Statement on Activities that are OBE
(1) Anything that clearly shifts this document toward "guidance
to the community about how the IESG is thinking about things"
and away from "more rules" will make me proportionally happier.
Certainly eliminating the 2119 language would help in that
regard.

The proposal strikes me as largely a statement of common sense.
However, "common sense" is notoriously difficult to state correctly
in formal terms, and a fear that the 2119 terms lack the fuzziness
needed for this kind of proposal.  We *generally* don't want to spend
resources on things OBE, but there are cases (like TCP/IP) where
it might be in the organization's interest to do so anyway.

Randy