Re: Last Call for Comments: Proposed work-around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-02-06 06:47:26
One comment, below:

On 2009-02-06 06:28 Ed Juskevicius said the following:
The IETF Trustees met via telechat on February 5th to decide on some
proposed revisions to the "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents"
policy, based on comments received from the community in the last two
weeks.  Please recall this work is being done to provide a work-around for
authors having the 'pre-5378 problem'.

The telechat was productive.  The Trustees reached consensus to do the
following:

1)  Clarify the copyright text at the beginning of the BSD license in
Section 4.1 to read as follows:

Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons identified as its
authors.  All rights reserved.

This doesn't work for me.  I read 'it' in the sentence above as referring
back to "IETF Trust" -- there's nothing else it can refer back to when
the code has been lifted out of the enclosing document, and complemented
by a license file holding the proposed license.  I propose instead:

    Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons identified as
    authors of the code.  All rights reserved.

Best,

        Henrik