Urgent: TLS authorization standard proposal

2009-02-09 18:14:49

Hello,

since Feb 2006 there is an ongoing proposal for an IETF
standard on "TLS authorization".

Unfortunately this standard is encumbered by a patent from
RedPhone Security. While this company has agreed to provide
a royalty-free license for implementors it has so far
refrained from doing so for users.

For me as an engineer this makes the proposed standard not
only worthless but also -- because it's aiming to become an
IETF standard -- dangerous.

I only see two possibilities:

Either RedPhone Security will provide a royalty-free license
for both users and developers or the IETF must decline to
approve the standard.

In my experience the IETF is a reasonable organization who
has so far always worked on standards that are both open
and free to everyone.

I will therefore assume that you will consider this issue
carefully and decide on a reasonable solution, most likely
one of the two I have just explained.

  Thank you!

      Leslie P. Polzer

    Independent IT Professional