Please do not approve patent-encumbered TLS authorisation standard

2009-02-10 19:59:30
I am writing to express my concern with the proposed standard on TLS authorisation. What disturbs me about this standard is that it includes methodologies that are covered by patent protection.

As I'm sure you are aware a standard encumbered in this manner cannot be considered a truly open standard, as it gives the patent holder undue influence over who is able to implement the standard, either directly or through the levying of fees which some implementors, in particular free/open source software developers, will be unable to pay.

It is my understanding that the IETF has always held firm with regard to rejecting patent-encumbered standards, and this stance has IMHO had a positive effect on it's reputation. I therefore urge you to stand by your principles and reject this standard when it comes up for consideration.

Best Regards,

   David Claughton.