TLS-authz proposal

2009-02-10 20:09:59
Dear Sir/Madam:

It's come to my attention that there is an IETF standard that is being proposed that uses patent-encumbered techniques, in particular, the TLS-authz standard (see http://www.fsf.org/news/reoppose-tls-authz-standard) . I do not know the merits of this claim, but I will simply say that it should be common sense that the IETF committee overseeing this process should reject any standard that uses patent-encumbered techniques. Any standard that can't be implemented in a free, open way cannot be considered a useful standard by any reasonable standards body.

Thank you for your time,
John Nishinaga
Oakland, CA, United States