I am against the RedPhone Security as a IETF Standard

2009-02-10 20:11:43
As a Free/Libre Open Source Software advocate I oppose publication of
draft-housley-tls-authz-extns as a proposed standard.

The patent application disclosed by RedPhone Security has put any free software
attempting to implement these extensions in a very difficult position. Free
software developers cannot safely code to the specifications without risking
infringement on RedPhone's patents.

As a result of these concerns and the uncertain situation they create, I
learned that GnuTLS has removed support for them in its latest release -- and
no other software maintained by the GNU Project will be written to them.

I know that the IETF and IESG largely share the view that patent-encumbered
standards are unacceptable. Please do not allow
this decision to be negated by making it as a proposed standard.

Sincerely,
Joseph R. Gulizia
Free/Libre Open Source Software advocate
Council Bluffs, IA (USA)